To borrow books in this phase of reopening, you need to book a Library visit and request the books in advance through this form at least 2 working days before the time slot you’ve booked for your Library visit. You will also need your Library ID to self-checkout these books.
You can return borrowed items at the bins available at the Library's main entrance (without the need for an appointment) or at the User Services Desk.
Our Online Resources remain accessible 24/7 wherever you are.
If you are an active Library member holding a membership card, you may borrow materials from the Library according to the list below:
|Loan Period||Item Limit||Loan Period||Item Limit||Loan Period||Item Limit||Loan Period||Item Limit|
|Children & Teens (0-17)||21 days||5||14 days||2||14 days||1||14 days||1|
|All Other Users||21 days||4||14 days||2||14 days||1||14 days||1|
|Inter-Library Loan||21 days||10|
|Institutional Members||21 days||20||---||---||---||---||---||---|
|Visiting Researchers||21 days||4||14 days||2||14 Days||1||14 Days||1|
Important Note: If the item you would like to borrow is damaged or in poor condition, please report it to the User Services Desk before borrowing it.
Any institution in Qatar with 10 or more staff members can apply for an institutional membership by filling out the Institutional Membership Form, signing it and sending it back to the Access Services department at [email protected] for activation.
The institutional membership allows its members to borrow up to 20 books for 21 days, with two renewals.
Temporary Membership for Visiting Researchers
Visiting researchers who are not residents of Qatar may apply for a temporary membership, which will let them borrow books from the Library and use its services.
To be eligible for a membership, a letter from the hosting institution is required (for example, from the dean of a department of a school) explaining the purpose and time duration needed for the membership.
The visiting researcher can register at the User Services Desk and obtain a temporary membership card which can be used to borrow items as per the Library’s borrowing policies. The temporary membership expires at the same time as the traveler’s Qatar visa. The books they borrow are renewable twice as long as their membership dates are still valid.
- You may renew a book up to 2 times, unless the book is on hold by another user, recalled or if your account is suspended due to overdue items or fines.
- You may renew a book 7 days before the due date through the Library website by logging into your account, selecting the book(s) you want to renew and clicking on ‘Renew Marked,’ or in person by visiting the User Services Desk with your membership card.
- You can return the borrowed books at the bins that are available at the Library's main entrance or at the User Services Desk.
Holds and Reserves
If the item you are looking for is already checked out by another user, you can place a hold on that item. To place a hold:
- Log in to your library account.
- Search for the title of the item you wish to reserve.
- Click “Place Hold.”
- The site will confirm that your hold has been placed.
- You will be notified by an auto-generated email when it becomes available.
- You can collect your reserved items from the hold shelf behind the User Services Desk.
- Held items will be kept for five days for pickup. If you do not check out the item after five days, the hold will be canceled and the item re-shelved.
Any borrowed item is subject to recall once requested by another user. Borrowers who receive recall notices are responsible for returning their requested items on or before the recall due dates.
You will receive a courtesy email message two days before the item's due date. Items on loan will become overdue if they are not returned or renewed by the due date. Items cannot be renewed if they have been recalled.
For any overdue item(s) you will receive:
- First overdue notice seven days after the due date
- Second overdue notice 14 days after the due date
- Third overdue notice 30 days after the due date
- Fourth and final long-overdue notice 60 days after the due date
After the final notice, and if we do not hear back from you, your Library membership will be permanently suspended, and you will be charged overdue fines of 100 QR per item.
Important Note: Failure to receive/read a courtesy reminder does not constitute an excuse for not returning the item on the date due or not renewing the item.
Fines and Penalties
- Books: After 60 days from the due date, you will be charged 100 QR per item.
- CDs, DVDs and kits: 20 Qatari riyals per item per day
Important Note: Failure to receive/read an overdue notice does not constitute an excuse for non-payment of fine.
Loss and Damage of Library Materials
You are responsible for the loss or damage of the items you borrow. If you lose an item, you will be charged:
- The replacement cost according to the supplier's cost
- 50 Qatari riyal processing fee
- The replacement cost and processing fee are non-refundable, even if you find the book after payment
In the event of damaged resources, you will be charged the replacement cost of the item accordingly. Damage includes:
- Writing on pages
- Torn pages
- Loss of shape
- Unreadability, such as spilling of liquids on the pages
- Damage to CD or DVD, e-reader, or other similar items